Wednesday, April 5, 2017

MY JOURNEY...

   These last eight months I have been getting accustomed to living in a foreign country for the first time in my life.   During the fall, I spent the first semester at the University of Antwerp learning a little Dutch and started painting (“schilderkunst” as they say in Dutch) at the Royal Academy of Fine Arts.  I will continue my studies at the Academy until I leave Belgium.   My professional art career has been on hold while I have taken the opportunity to “hone in” on some basic skills.  I have a minor in art, but my professional art career did not begin until 2007, so having this opportunity at my age to hit the “refresh button” has been phenomenal for me!  Yes, that means back to the drawing board… mixing paint… focusing on tones, perception, depth, light, and dark… all the things I learned in college, but on a much more advanced level.  We have live models constantly to work on flesh tones and the anatomy.   Since January,  we have focused each week on drawing and painting noses, mouths, eyes, ears, hands, feet, etc.  It has been amazing to see the different styles of painting by everyone in the class!  Some could be portrait artists, while others have a version that looks more graphic. 

   A fellow artist told me one time that she was always trying to re-invent the wheel.  Well, I have learned you cannot re-invent the wheel.  To put it in perspective… a wheel will always be a wheel…a cube will always be a cube… a sphere will always be a sphere... and so forth.  In art, you have to recognize those shapes in your environment and use them as a foundation while your creative juices start flowing.    I am looking forward to attending some art retreats in the spring and fall to experience painting in villages,  gardens, and cafes in the south of France.  I can't wait!  

_______________________________________

   I am currently updating my website with some of my new work and some old favorites, but for the meantime enjoy watching my journey….

                                                                 
                                                             THE BASICS








SKETCHES & ANATOMY









GOING INDUSTRIAL - WORKS ON METAL




New Work Coming Soon!